As stewards of Thomas More University, it is expected that your work and contributions to our community will reflect the mission, values, and integrity of the University. We are committed to being a student-ready University and aspire to facilitate an interconnected community of excellence. In doing so, we will foster a sense of responsibility to others, act with respect, tolerance and compassion towards others, and care for God’s creation. Through this engagement, Thomas More University is a thriving and dynamic institution that espouses the values of a Catholic Liberal Arts education committed to the students that we serve today, those that we will serve tomorrow, and the communities our graduates will serve.
This position administers and performs operations of the payroll involved in the processing of time and earnings records of all University employees, resulting in the semi-monthly distribution of payroll deposits. Coordinates employee benefits and assists with other Human Resource Department functions and projects as needed.
- Detail oriented
- Accuracy and organization are essential
- Excellent computer skills
- Strong time management and multi-tasking skills
- Takes initiative and is a self-starter
Principal Duties & Activities
Performs duties associated with the overall management and processing of the faculty, staff, and student payroll function.
- Performs duties associated with the overall management and processing of the student payroll function. Coordinates processing of new student workers with the Financial Aid Department.
- Prepares payroll data for input and enters into Paycor system and prepares payroll reports for each payroll processed.
- Processes TIAA deposits with the semi-monthly payroll.
- Assists in on-boarding new employees on payroll and with benefit elections, and input new employee data in Paycor and J1.
- Responsible for the tracking of employee time-off reports and maintains accumulated time off hours.
- Coordinate Paycor on-line annual employee open enrollment process.
- Order name badges for employees and invoice each department as appropriate.
- Coordinate employee tax liability for graduate tuition remission.
- Complete verification of employment forms and /or phone calls.
- Train new Paycor users and new supervisors.
- Maintain current with payroll laws and practices as well as ACA (Affordable Care Act).
- Coordinate IPEDS/CUPA data for salary surveys and institutional reporting.
- Processes incoming and outgoing mail for the department.
- Handle complaints or questions regarding discrepancies in payroll and benefits.
- Process employee benefit changes with providers and adjust payroll deductions as needed.
- Process garnishment requests.
- Maintains employee confidence and protects payroll operations by keeping information confidential.
- Facilitates the annual reconciliation of W2’s.
- Develop Paycor reports to meet the needs of various departments as requested.
- Audit medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance invoices and correct errors timely.
- Assist with staff development and engagement activities.
- Coordinates employee wellness program.
- Update on-line employee directory along with the on-line organizational chart.
- Performs other department job related responsibilities as assigned.
- Coordinate on-boarding of student workers and maintenance of active student worker files.
- Coordinate tracking of student payroll hours, including supervisor set-up and timesheet approvals and input of exception hours.
- Process payroll checks & direct deposits for student workers.
- Assist with payroll tracking of students under the federal work study program.
- Assist with tax reporting and W-2 issues for student workers.
Education, Specialized and/or Technical Knowledge Requirements
Associate degree, preferred
Knowledge and skilled at using computerized information systems
Proficiency with Excel spreadsheets
Prefers 2+ years of payroll processing experience
Experience with Paycor systems preferred