Thomas More University is a private, Catholic diocesan, liberal arts institution located in the metropolitan Cincinnati area. The University is student-oriented, and teaching is our primary focus. Thomas More has a reputation for excellent education, community commitment, and student success, and takes pride in offering students an exceptional academic experience with small classes and committed faculty and staff. Thomas More serves approximately 2000 full- and part-time students on its beautiful campus in Crestview Hills, Kentucky.
A Campus Safety Officer is responsible for the safety of students, employees, and visitors, as well as the security of the campus facilities.
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal skills, and written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to effectively deal with various personality types and potentially stressful situations.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships, professional rapport, and effectively accomplish work within a university setting that includes a wide array of individuals, groups, policies, and processes.
- Competence with and commitment to diversity and inclusion; ability to be an effective partner with diverse students, faculty, and staff.
- Knowledge of campus safety and security procedures.
- Knowledge of correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and vocabulary.
- Ability to interpret and enforce University regulations to include Saints Community Standards, with tact, firmness, and diplomacy.
- Good judgment, and ability to analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
- Ability to work confidentially and with discretion.
- Ability to organize and write clear and concise reports.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written directions.
- Ability to work independently with minimal ongoing direction.
- Ability to quickly learn and use new technologies and applications in depth at level of proficiency and sophistication required of the duties of the position.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn the various fire/life safety systems and access control security systems on campus.
Principal Duties & Activities
- Responds to service calls. Service calls may include, but are not limited to, unlocking buildings, providing escort to university members, providing information to the University community and members of the public, responding to suspicious activity or other situations involving safety, emergencies, or other urgent matters, and providing assistance to motorists.
- Patrols and monitors Thomas More University by vehicle, golf cart, or foot as appropriate to ensure coverage of campus buildings and grounds.
- Evaluates and notifies building support staff of maintenance concerns as discovered in the course of duties; provides notification of campus hazards to building maintenance as necessary.
- Provides security at functions or athletic events as requested by the University.
- Provides medical care at the level of basic first aid/CPR/AED as provided by the American Red Cross or its equivalent. Coordinates with medical responders when a higher level of care is required.
- Responds to students in crisis; assesses such situations and coordinates with relevant University staff or external resources (including mental health professionals) as needed.
- Responds to notifications from the security and fire alarms across campus that are monitored by Campus Safety.
- Updates daily activity logs as needed and in a timely manner; completes written incident reports in a timely, clear, and well-written manner.
- Shall note and report all conditions which adversely affect the appearance, safety and health of the TMU Campus and Community.
- Promote and embrace shared responsibility for campus safety across functional areas.
- A Safety Officer shall be responsible for the efficient performance of his/her duties in conformity with the policies of the department and the regulations set forth in the TMU Employee Manual and other University policies.
- A Safety Officer’s working hours will be set by the Supervisor but are subject to change as conditions dictate.
-Campus Safety provides coverage on Campus 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Education, Specialized and/or Technical Knowledge Requirements
Education: A High School diploma or GED.
Experience: Prefer experience in customer service, safety and security, or a related field.
*Willing to train individuals, with no experience, who meet our Core Values.
Physical Job Requirements
- Frequently: ability to interact and communicate with members of the University and others as necessary.
- Frequently: extended periods of sitting, standing, walking, operating a golf cart, or operating a motor vehicle.
- As necessary: climb stairs and run.
- Regularly: sit, perform desk-based computer tasks; use fine manipulation and grasp; use a telephone/radio; write by hand; sort and file paperwork.
- Regularly: kneel/crawl; twist; lift, carry, push, and pull objects that weigh up to 35 pounds.