Director of Institutional Research
Strategy and Impact
Send resume/CV, cover letter, and reference list to:
person Laura Custer, Director of Human Resources
place Thomas More University, 333 Thomas More Parkway, Crestview Hills, KY 41017
The Director of Institutional Research will be tasked with coordinating a comprehensive research and assessment program supporting planning, decision-making, and strategy development. The director is responsible for all internal and external reporting, including the collection, analysis, interpretation, submission, and presentation of data and information.
- Attitude of service and ability to collaborate across departments
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong project management skills
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Ability to record, verify, and report data with a very high degree of accuracy
- Passion for professional operation and process improvements
Principal Duties & Activities
- Ensure that accurate and relevant data and supporting documentation are provided to meet the decision-making needs of the university. This includes the collection, analysis, interpretation, and presentation of data and information.
- Develop and manage data standards and a formal set of procedures using best practices for ensuring the validity and integrity of data collection, analysis, and reporting, including consistency across campus. Reconcile data (student enrollment, financial aid, etc.) for internal and external reporting purposes.
- Collaborate with IT Services to acquire, train, and expand the use of analytic tools to make information and analysis more readily available to the university community.
- Operate a variety of software packages used for data management, statistical analysis, and visual display of data; learn and apply emerging technologies as necessary.
- Coordinate and implement the design and production of regularly scheduled reports according to annual timelines.
- Work with multiple stakeholders to prepare and submit data and reports to government agencies, accrediting bodies, and external organizations, including IPEDS, Kentucky state reporting, common data set, SACSCOC, and program accreditations.
- Proactively advise and recommend to university leadership ways that institutional research can assist in promoting university-wide improvement. Anticipate questions through review of data, information, and research, including those related to institutional, state, and national conversations around higher education.
- Respond to requests for data from internal departments and serve as a technical resource and consultant to committees and project teams; clarify needs and assist stakeholders in developing and refining questions; understand available data, business definitions, and technical capabilities, and lead process improvements when necessary; identify and document information resources, including appropriate comparative data; provide data based upon needs to optimize utility of the results.
- Provide training and coaching on the collection and use of data, analysis, and information. Collaboratively convene discussions related to information needs and connect data owners and consumers.
- Incorporate applied research methods including mixed methods and qualitative approaches to collect and analyze data.
- Ensure compliance of privacy, security, and ethical issues of research and data use.
- Provide leadership and guidance for committees tasked with assessment; assist departments in designing, conducting, and reporting on assessment plans.
- Lead a university survey strategy, including national, regional, and university surveys. Coordinate surveys for all university constituencies; serve as the primary contact for external surveys; assist internal stakeholders with appropriate survey design; facilitate delivery to participants; receive, analyze, and communicate results.
- Chair and serve on committees as requested.
- Oversee budgets related to areas of responsibility.
Education, Specialized and/or Technical Knowledge Requirements
- MA/MS in education, statistical analysis, research methodology, social sciences or related field, or any combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities of the position
- 5-7 years of related work experience in assessment, program evaluation, quantitative and qualitative research methods, research design, and statistical analysis, preferably in a higher education setting
Back to Job Postings