Director of Residence Life and Activities
Send resume/CV, cover letter, and reference list to:
person Laura Custer, Director of Human Resources
place Thomas More University, 333 Thomas More Parkway, Crestview Hills, KY 41017
The duties and responsibilities of this position will be performed in a manner that reflects the core values of Thomas More University which include the following: sense of responsibility toward your fellow human beings, respect for life, adherence to social work ethics, respect for diversity, professionalism, and compassion.
The Director of Residence Life and Activities is a full-time professional, 12-month live-in position. The Director will be a member of the Office of the Dean of Student Diversity, Engagement, and Success and liaise closely with the Assistant Dean. The Director will lead the creation of a healthy and safe living and learning environment for students that is conducive to personal growth, learning in and outside of the classroom, and comfortable living. The Director will work with others to ensure the vibrancy of student life experience by facilitating leadership programs and activities by coordinating and collaborating with the Director of Student Leadership and Engagement. The Director will also assist the Assistant Dean/Chief Conduct Officer by adjudicating student conduct cases related to residence hall infractions and in supporting Title IX Investigations.
- Willingness to be a strategic and innovative thinker
- Excellent administrative and leadership skills
- Excellent written, oral, presentation, interpersonal and organizational skills as well as the ability to establish priorities and manage time wisely
- Excellent customer service skills including working with students, parents, vendors, and members of the university community.
- Ability to function effectively in emergencies and engage wisely in crisis interventions
- Ability to enforce procedures, priorities, work independently and proceed with tasks without supervision
- Ability to support and contribute to the goal of achieving greater diversity at Thomas More University.
- Ability to work effectively with the many constituencies in a liberal arts college environment.
- Ability to occasionally work evening and weekend hours.
- Select, train, supervise 3 Mentor Resident Assistants and several Resident Assistants (RAs)
- Manage the daily operations of the residential communities (opening, closing, duty, desk coverage, room changes, etc.)
- Respond to psychological, medical, and maintenance situations/emergencies by acting within the established respective protocols for each.
- Serve in an on-call duty rotation including nights and weekends
- Serve as primary first level judicial officer for violations of the code of conduct within residence halls and by residential students
- Support the Assistant Dean in maintaining and updating housing policies, lists, and statistics each semester and as needed
- Prepare reports including: health and safety checks, incident reports, quarterly reports and annual reports
- Create and implement requirements and training procedures for Resident Assistants
- Coordinate and implement community development and educational activities within the residence hall through supervision of student staff
- Provide students with referrals to on and off campus resources
- Participate in University recruitment and retention initiatives
- Assist in new student orientation program planning and implementation.
- Assist with Student Life programming and events when needed and work collaboratively with the Assistant Dean of Students to develop students in the residence halls.
- Coordinate efforts with the Department of Campus Safety
- Coordinate best practices to maintain facilities and oversee the maintenance request process
- Facilitate the delivery of any letters or correspondence in their mailboxes to and from residents
- Organize and keep an accurate log of all residence hall keys, including mailbox keys, room keys, etc.
- Assist with the cancellation of meal plans
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Create and advise the Weekend Activities committee
- Maintain weekly office hours in the Student Life Office
- Develop and implement programming within residence halls to support the University’s mission.
- Advise a registered student organization or club
- Facilitate student leadership programming and workshops
- Assist with the facilitation and running of the Thomas More Helping Hands Food Pantry
- Assist with the oversight of intramurals
- Work with the Assistant Athletic Director to support student athletes
- Liaise with the Title IX Officer on investigations
- Serve as a hearing officer for student disciplinary concerns
- Assist in the coordination, development, and implementation of various departmental and University wide events including Graduates Banquet, Graduation, Leadership Awards Banquet, Enrollment programs, Orientation, Move-in Day, Week of Welcome, and Co-Curricular programs
- Perform other related duties that assist in advancing the mission, vision, values, and goals of the University and the Department of Student Affairs
Education, Specialized and/or Technical Knowledge Requirements
Minimum Education: Master’s degree; individuals with a Bachelor’s degree and three or more years of full-time experience in residential life oversight will be considered.
Minimum Experience: Residence Life experience; Student Conduct experience preferred; oversight of student workers and/or RAs
Back to Job Postings