Director of Campus Safety
Send resume/CV, cover letter, and reference list to:
person Laura Custer, Director of Human Resources
place Thomas More University, 333 Thomas More Parkway, Crestview Hills, KY 41017
The Director of Campus Safety is responsible for overall campus safety and compliance with local and federal laws and regulations. This position directs, manages, coordinates, and over-sees all activities of the safety department and staff.
- Ability to handle conflict and crisis situations
- Good listener
- Excellent customer service skills with students, guests and faculty/staff
- Ability to handle stressful situations
- Works well independently and as a team
- Develops and maintains a professional campus safety staff
- Ability to maintain a flexible work schedule to meet the needs of the University
Principle Duties & Activities
Reports directly to the Vice President of Finance & Operations/CFO and promptly executes all directives from this office.
- Develops and maintains good relationships with all departments, especially Student Life and the student body, as well as the Facilities Department and President’s Office.
- With the assistance of the Human Resources Director, recruits, hires, and coaches/disciplines staff as necessary. Responsible for staff performance management and employee relation issues.
- Develops, organizes and conducts adequate and progressive personnel training programs as the budget allows.
- Organizes and controls traffic and parking regulation system to all members of the University community.
- Initiates investigations into all cases of alleged or apparent misconduct. The guidelines set forth in the Saints Community Standards manual and the rules and regulations of the safety department shall be observed.
- Promotes public confidence, develops and conducts a sound public relations program.
- Maintains a productive relationship with other aspects of the Thomas More community.
- Maintains a close working relationship with local law enforcement agencies and fire departments.
- Follows the guidelines set forth in Public Law 101-542 known as The Student Right-to-Know and Campus Security Act, M. Mingler Act, Cleary Act and Title IX and is responsible for filing the annual reports for the M. Mingler Act and Clearly Act.
- Serves as a member of the Title IX Team and assists with Title IX investigations.
- Leads the Crisis Management Team and maintains the Crisis Management Manual.
- Maintains a working relationship with other colleges and universities and keeps abreast of trends involving campus safety.
- Responds to emergencies on campus and is on-call at all times.
- Develops and adheres to the department budget.
- Assists with campus events as needed, as well as special events held on Thomas More’s campus.
Education, Specialized and/or Technical Knowledge Requirements
Education: A bachelor’s degree, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Experience: A minimum of five years of protective services experience, to include at least three years of supervision experience. A minimum of 200 hours of formal protective service/law enforcement training. A proficient knowledge and understanding of Federal and State Laws. Proficiency with video surveillance equipment. Experience in an educational setting preferred.
Back to Job Postings