The Instructional Designer position is responsible for promoting faculty development in the continuous improvement of curriculum through evidence based instructional design methods. Create and revise on ground and online curriculum in accordance with sound instructional design principles and established quality standards.
Core Competency Skills Required
· Ability to actively listen.
· Commitment to innovation and teaching excellence.
· Experience in teaching online and on ground.
· Experience with emerging technologies. (Ex. social media, mobile devices, web applications, LMS integrations)
· Effectiveness in on-demand work environment.
· Ability to organize and work effectively with an understanding of organizational policies and activities.
· Proficient in communication, both oral and written; experience with presentations.
· Advanced skills in the use of technology applications and experience with web-based course management and / or content management systems.
· Ability to handle multiple and simultaneous tasks.
· Willingness to work effectively with a variety of content areas and individuals.
· Capability to deal well with ambiguity and fast-paced change.
· Knowledge of instructional design principles.
· Familiarity with a variety of quality rubrics for higher education.
· Familiarity with web conferencing tools to conduct meetings and training sessions.
· Knowledge of accessibility requirements, best practices, and resources for web, graphic design, and documents.
· Integrates resources, policies and information for the determination of procedures, solutions, and other outcomes.
· Attends appropriate conferences and seminars to maintain an up-to-date knowledge base of new instructional software and pedagogical techniques and design principles.
· Presents on topics related to course design at internal and external venues.
· Develops partnerships with programs and individual faculty members to improve teaching and learning.
· Supports Director of Online Engagement in developing faculty skills and abilities to create courses in Canvas.
· Performs other duties as needed and/or assigned.
Education, Specialized and/or Technical Knowledge Requirements
· Bachelor's degree required. Master's degree preferred in areas such as: instructional technology, education, communications, curriculum design, or related field.
· Online education and Online teaching experience preferred.
· Knowledge of learning management systems. Canvas preferred.
· Knowledge using Articulate Storyline in course development.
· Two years’ experience in the design and development of technology-based instructional material in higher education is required.